How much do you know about pubs?
Chances are many of you readers are taking part of trivia nights held in pubs, or just love going to pubs to socialize and mellow out. Pubs are one of my favorite venues to be at so I thought it is only fitting to have a round of questions dedicated to this sanctuary…this watering hole…this birthplace of nations, ideas and fun times…say thanks to the pub owner on your way out next time.
- What is “pub” short for? – Public House
- Which English Member of Parliament referred to the pub as “the heart of England”? – Samuel Pepys
- What special room was used by patrons who did not want to be seen enjoying a pint in the pub? – Snugs
- Which floor of the Guinness Storehouse houses the Gravity Bar, where tourists can drink a pint of Guinness? – Seventh floor
- Pubs are said to have evolved from what Anglo-Saxon establishment that started to appear in the 5th century? – Alehouses
- Under the English 1830 Beer Act, what was the cost of the licence to sell beer and cider from your own home? – 2 guineas
- A pub that is required to sell beer primarily from a single brewery is typically referred to as what? – Tied house
- The name “gastropub” is derived from what two words? – Gastronomy and pub
- Considered to be the oldest pub in the US, what year was the White Horse Tavern of Rhode Island opened in? – 1673
- Approximately how much more beer would you get in a pint served in the UK compared to one served in the US? – 95 mL
Tie breaker – Which Irish poet said “There are no strangers here; Only friends you have not yet met.” – William Butler Yeats
Have a great Trivia Tuesday!
This Friday is a special one. It will be Friday, January 13, 2017…or simply, Friday the 13th. I put together a short trivia round to mark the occasion. Feel free to use these questions for your trivia nights, or enjoy this round as a short trivia quiz.
- What is the fear of the number 13 known as? – Triskaidekaphobia
- At most, how many Friday the 13th can there be in the same calendar year? – 3
- Which famous rapper died on Friday, September 13, 1996? – Tupac Shakur
- What is the name of the avenue that lies between 12th and 14th Avenue in San Francisco? – Funston Avenue
- What is the more common name for the 1987 computer virus that was set to go off on Friday the 13th of every year? – Jerusalem
- Which famous pop star considers the number 13 to be her lucky number? – Taylor Swift
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus was born on Friday, January 13, of what year? – 1961
- The plane carrying what country’s national rugby team crashed on Friday, October 13, 1972? – Uruguay’s
- Who met in groups of 13, also called covens? – Witches
- What year was the original film “Friday the 13th” released? – 1980
Tie-breaker: “Friday the 13th motorcycle rally” is held on every Friday the 13th in what Canadian city? – Port Dover
Image credit: Icons8
We are finally in color and mobile! Read some trivia about the Random Trivia Generator!